Saturday, April 21, 2012

I thought I retired from racing...

The other day, I received a text from my friend Kelly(see picture on right) asking for Russ' cell number. I sent it to him. A little while later, I received another text from Kelly. This time he asked if I would like to be his team-mate in the upcoming 12 Hours of Mesa Verde race. I mulled it over and somehow said yes. This, after I swore to never do a duo 12 hour race again! And I just built up a bike that is more suited to downhill riding that cross-country racing. And I had one month to get race fit since Kelly is a very serious competitor and I don't want to let him down. Oh my....

Luckily, I have already been riding a bit and I know someone who can help me tune my fitness for race-mode in a short amount of time:

It really pays to know the right people. You can check out her website: http://www.alisondunlapcoaching.com/

She stopped by the other day to get some new tires installed and in the amount of time it took me to do that, she whipped up a training plan (on post-it notes!):

Looking over her plan made me realize that I rode way too much and way too hard back in the old days.

So, now I am getting up and doing VO2 intervals before breakfast and following those little post-it notes to the "T". I will let you know how it all worked out after the race. My favorite training so far is: ride hard- 2 hours. Just like the old days!

No comments:

Post a Comment